Saturday, July 15, 2006

To start with . . .

Alrighty! I'm going to start with a silly little poem that I wrote a long time ago. Really, a lo-o-o-o-ong time ago. It was written when I was a 7th grader, almost (gasp) 50 years ago. I'm starting with this for a very good reason . . . it can only get better for here on! It's called . . .


LITTLE BABY

It was a little baby
With wide unwinking eyes,
Propped in his baby carriage
Looking very wise.

“Oh! What a pwitty baby!
Oh! Wittle tweety wove!
What is ‘ou sinkin’, Baby,
An’ dweamin’ of?

“Is ‘ou wond’rin’ ‘bout de doggie
A-fwiskin’ here an’ dere?
Is ‘ou watchin’ all the birdies
Evwee where?

“An’ all de funny peoples
An’ funny sings ‘ou sees?
What is ‘ou sinkin’, Baby?
Tell me pwease!

“’Ou sinkin’ of tisses an’ wovin’
An’ wantin’ an’ wantin’ for some?
Oh! Tweety goo? Summy doddle!
Oh! Yummy yum!”

Then spoke that little baby,
As wise as a little gnome,
“You get in the baby carriage;
I’ll push you home!”

1 comment:

Caroline said...

Very cute poem. I used to write poetry when I was younger. Laura loves (and is very good) at writing poetry. The poems I used to write were the typical teenager "love" poems. I pulled them out a few months ago and we had such a good laugh. There was this one poem talking about how much I loved this one guy. The next one was talking about how this same person betrayed me. Oh, to be a teenager again. Keep writing. I love reading your work.